Is it me? Lord, send me!
"Here I am Lord, is it I Lord – I have heard you calling in the night, I will go Lord if you lead me, I will hold your people in my heart"
This line from a classic hymn, based on the message in Isaiah 6:8 and 1 Samuel 3, recently inspired Spinnaker CEO, Mike Harrowing as he was considering the role of Spinnaker volunteers in schools. He was reminded that what we do isn’t to ‘save the children’ but the job here is ‘to hold your people in my heart’. And that’s what we do at Spinnaker. Yes, we go and visit the schools and take lessons and worship assemblies and sometimes we’re tempted to think it’s us that saves children, but what we do is hold them in our heart. We remember the children, the teachers and the staff – we remember the specific situations and we can share, and we can pray.
“I love the buzz & excitement in the room as the children wait for the assembly to begin" – Rachel Swaby, Volunteer
“I notice a sense of excitement and anticipation from the children” – Lisa Absalom, Volunteer
"I will go if you lead me....."
We know, really, it is God who is doing the work and we get to join in. We simply hold the children in our heart and out of the overflow of that love, comes all that we do in schools.
We would love to recruit a lot more local ‘ordinary Christians’ who are simply interested in having Jesus in their local school. We would love to help them to be able to visit their school and to make a difference. We appreciate we can all feel shy, but we can help with that! Everyone on the team started in the same way and, following our training programme, was able to go! You could too!
Anyone who is interested in having Jesus represented in your school, you need to know that you can do it!
If you have as little as 2 hours a week, starting with prayer, moving through to shadowing a Spinnaker team member and onto taking the children through a Spinnaker worship assembly - with resources fully prepared by the Spinnaker team - you too could become a Volunteer Schoolsworker.
A simple 5 step process:
- Talk to us! Even if you only have a passing interest, we’d love to talk to you. At this stage we will address any concerns you have and decide together if you’d like to proceed to
- Apply. This sounds rather formal however we need to follow a robust set of recruitment guidelines reassuring our volunteers and schools that we are committed to safeguarding.
- Train. We will prepare and equip you – both before you start to visit a school and then with termly training sessions for the whole team.
- Shadow. We will link you with an experienced Spinnaker schoolsworker.
- Be introduced. We will introduce you to your local school or work with you to establish a relationship with them. The shadowing phase can continue until you have an established link.